The region is home to more than 90,000 manufacturing workers in the automotive sector, primarily from Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers. Six of the world’s top ten automotive-supply companies have a manufacturing presence in the region.
Our strategy is to build upon the robust supply base of the region to attract major-component suppliers (engines, drive trains, etc.) and eventually a final-assembly operation, as well as set aside over 1,000 acres of land to attract such a project.
El Paso Region’s Value Proposition
- More than 90,000 of our regional citizens are presently employed by the automotive industry, mainly by large suppliers
- Excellent rail connectivity with multiservice availability. Union Pacific, Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Ferromex, all have a presence in the region.
- Immediate access to hundreds of experienced automotive suppliers
- Operating costs compare favorably with most regions of the United States
- Available, certified sites up to 2,000 acres, fully served by infrastructure, can be offered at no or low cost
- Customized training programs
- Employee-screening assistance
Automotive Opportunities in the El Paso Region
The automotive industry benefits from an expanding, educated, skilled labor pool. Several technical schools contribute to this growing resource, graduating a continuos stream of educated workers. The El Paso Community College and Western Technical College offer two-year degree programs in automotive technology, plus a variety of certificate programs in automated manufacturing, robotics, welding, precision machining and electronics. The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) has more than 21,000 (Fall 2010 enrollment) students and has been named the top engineering graduate school for Hispanics.
- Supply chain for major automotive suppliers operating in México, such as Lear, Delphi, Visteon and others
- Final assembly of automobiles or automobile platforms
The El Paso Regional Economic Development Corporation (REDCo) and its partners have proactively developed a strategy for recruiting the automotive industry to the region. McCallum Sweeney Consulting (MSC), a leading site-location and economic development company with more than 50 years experience in relocation evaluation and site certification for the automotive industry, has certified shovel-ready 1,042-acre site in El Paso.
Discover what leading manufacturers have come to know. The road to the future starts here - where Texas, Northern Mexico and Shouthern New Mexico meet.